Questions answered by this recipe
Is there a way to automatically number footnotes and to have them all automatically displayed at the bottom of the page?
Wherever you want a footnote in your text, simply use the
[^footnote text^] markup.
When you want to display all the footnotes you have so far, below a short blue horizontal rule, use the markup
[^#^] (on a line by itself; it won't break the recipe to do otherwise, but it might look funky). (The blue line will only appear when footnotes actually exist on the page.)
If you do not want the short blue horizontal rule, but just a listing of all the footnotes defined so far, use the markup
[^@^] (on a line by itself, too).
You may have multiple occurrences of the listing markups; each one will display only the footnotes created in the text since the last listing markup. (So you can have footnotes at the end of each section of your text, for example.)
You can put in the group footer the markup to display the footnotes, so authors don't have to remember to add it.
New in version 2017-12-30
Footnotes now incorporates all the features of FootnotesExtended (except that Footnotes Extended is outdated and doesn’t work on current versions of PmWiki, while Footnotes does).
The new version is compatible with PmWiki 2.2.58 and newer, and has no requirements for PHP version. The original version is compatible with PmWiki 2.0 and higher, but requires PHP 5.4 or older.
- 2017-12-30: Incorporate features of FootnotesExtended. —Said Achmiz December 30, 2017, at 08:13 PM
- 2017-12-07: Footnotes can now span multiple lines and even multiple paragraphs. —Said Achmiz December 07, 2017, at 03:57 PM
- 2017-11-06: Updated to be valid HTML5. —Said Achmiz November 06, 2017, at 03:46 PM
- New version that works in PHP 5.5+, and prevents gratuitous blue lines: footnote2.phpΔ
- Slightly modified variant of original recipe to prevent gratuitous blue lines (<PHP 5.5): footnoteifany.phpΔ
- FootnotesExtended (an extension that makes separating the footnote text from the footnote reference possible; better for large footnote texts and if references to the same text reoccur)
- Cookbook:AddFootnote - creates a GUI edit button to transform selected text into a footnote
- jr (the MarkupExtensions recipe)
- RandyB - modified to omit gratuitous blue lines and to work with PHP 5.5
- Said Achmiz - modified to be valid HTML5, and to allow footnotes to span multiple lines/paragraphs; also, added features of FootnotesExtended
See discussion at Footnotes-Talk