Your comments are welcome. Please post new comments at the bottom of this page.
Hi Petko. I'm having trouble with maps that don't have a specific ll=.... For instance, i have a map that is for a town/zipcode:
... and when GMap replaces the code, it returns nothing but the zoom factor:
in addition, i have a personal google map:
... and when GMap replaces the code, it again returns something that breaks:
is there a way to embed these kinds of maps with GMap? and a way for the ROEPattterns to successfully convert them from their natural
overtones99 October 18, 2009, at 07:55 PM
With both locations, if you just move the map a little, or zoom in-out, then the links will obtain a
ll= parameter and the GMap should display fine. The latest version 20091022 will use an existing
sll= parameter if the link doesn't have the required
ll= parameter. About the personal multimap (the first one I see!),
there are two problems: without the (Should be fixed from 20091025.) --Petko October 21, 2009, at 06:18 PM
ll= parameter it doesn't work, but with it, it displays an additional red pin on that location. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.
hi petko thanks for your work on the gmap recipe. it's fun to play with! and thanks for addressing my recent questions.
here are some more comments and questions:
- your suggestions (& the new recipe) worked - thanks!
- i see what you're talking about with the extra center pin showing up on personal maps. i look forward to that disappearing : )
GMap:ll=...&msid=..."nomarker". You still need the
- it took me awhile to figure it out, but these maps are very persnickety, and can malfunction very easily when other maps are on the same wikipage - i.e. an error in one very often short-circuits the rest. for instance i fiddled with the personal multimap for over an hour (which wasn't working), and it didn't start to work until i finally removed other test maps from the page. i don't know what changed, or what the situation was, but i had run into a similar problem a couple days before, and thought i had "solved" the earlier problem and could continue working simultaneously with these test maps. i wonder if you've run into the same problems? if so, perhaps the recipe page could use a note suggesting only working on one map at a time to prevent problems?
- for some reason the current method of designating a list of points with
%gmap%took a long time to click for me, and i foresee users of gmap on my site(s) probably running into the same problem. i wonder if it's possible to instead wrap the pins in a
>>gmap<<instead? so, instead of:
: %gmap% GMap:ll=33.966142,-117.965698&z=8 : center & zoom of entire map : GMap:ll=34.170038,-118.047581&z=16 : # 1 : GMap:ll=34.187613,-118.131244&z=16 : # 2
>>gmap< : GMap:ll=33.966142,-117.965698&z=8 : center & zoom of entire map : GMap:ll=34.170038,-118.047581&z=16 : # 1 : GMap:ll=34.187613,-118.131244&z=16 : # 2 >><<
- with the following map (for the white house), is it possible to automatically display the google-pin-info without having to type it in? for instance, the pin on google reads:
White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, DC 20500-0004 (202) 456-1414 whitehouse.gov
- and finally, i know this may be like asking for too many bells and whistles, but i'm just thinking ahead to user-questions/frustration on my pages - i wonder if the ROEPattern could somehow detect that someone's adding a pin to a map, and then provide the :list:definition: markup instead? (sorry if this is too much to ask for!)
: %gmap%GMap:ll=33.966142,-117.965698&z=8 : center & zoom of entire map : GMap:ll=34.170038,-118.047581&z=16 : # 1 : GMap:ll=34.187613,-118.131244&z=16 : # 2 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode= &q=the+white+house&sll=34.140083,-118.214264&sspn=0.07175,0.133381&ie=UTF8 &hq=The+White+House&hnear=The+White+House,+Washington,+DC&ll=38.904459,-77.036562 &spn=0.032061,0.06669&z=14&iwloc=A
: %gmap%GMap:ll=33.966142,-117.965698&z=8 : center & zoom of entire map : GMap:ll=34.170038,-118.047581&z=16 : # 1 : GMap:ll=34.187613,-118.131244&z=16 : # 2 : GMap:ll=38.904459,-77.036562&z=14 : #3
%gmap%located in the first line or 2b) a bare Gmap: indicator. seems like there could be a simple ROE rule to differentiate. maybe i'll look into it...
<iframe-- see the EnableHTML, IncludeUrl and IncludeSite recipes. And again, the GoogleMapsAPI recipe has probably all the features a person may need. --Petko October 24, 2009, at 05:00 PM
thanks petko! overtones99 October 24, 2009, at 10:19 PM
I added these lines to cookbook/gmap.php
$LinkFunctions['GMapKML:'] = 'LinkIMap';
$IMap['GMapKML:'] = '$1';
$IMapLinkFmt['GMapKML:'] = "<a class='gmaplink' title='kml' href='\$LinkUrl' rel='nofollow'>\$LinkText</a>";
after the ones that set up the GMap markup.
Then in my wiki page I can have:
: %gmap% GMap:ll=54.454073,-3.015747&z=9 : center & zoom of entire map : GMapKML:http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/maps/lakes.kml :
where the second line contains the URL of my KML file and adds it to the map.
HTH, David Pilling