PmWeekly, May 2017
June 10, 2017, at 03:00 PM (0 comments)
Activity around PmWiki in May 2017, notably the new mobile-friendly core skin as discussed in April, discussions on the mailing list, discussions about and changes to Cookbook recipes.
Version 2.2.98 (2017-05-31) released: new responsive core skin
This version adds a new skin that is better adaptable to both large and small screens, desktop and mobile devices (touchscreens). The new skin "pmwiki-responsive" is not enabled by default but available as an option, and as a base for customized copies. It requires a relatively modern browser (post-2009). The old skin is still available and enabled by default.
The Vardoc links now use MakeLink() to allow a custom LinkPage function. The function ReplaceOnSave() was refactored to allow easier calling from recipes. Markup processing functions now can access besides
$pagename, a $markupid variable that contains the "name" of the processed markup rule, allowing a single function to process multiple markup rules. The "*.mkv" video extension was added to the list of allowed uploads.
A bug was fixed with the
(:markup:) output where a leading space was lost. Note that the "markup" frame is now wrapped in a <pre> block with a "pre-wrap" style instead of <code>.
A number of other (minor) bugs were fixed: see ChangeLog, and the documentation was updated.
Discussions about the PmWiki core
This thread started as a question about how to process two markup rules with the same text, but evolved into a discussion about the need to find a way to rewrite the markup engine for PHP 7.2.
This thread was about the new mobile-friendly skin, and the Mini gallery slideshows on mobile phones. Another thread about the new skin.
This thread is about the difficulty to apply a WikiStyle to a <video> tag.
This reply explains how to fix some warnings for the page Site.AuthUser in older versions of PmWiki.
This thread discusses automatic redirection of a wiki from the HTTP to the secure HTTPS protocol. Reply from Pm.
Cookbook (addons, modules, skins)
- VideoAttach (Handles Attach: videos, provides a video directive and optional support for popular Video Upload sites.) by ccox : Beta. Announcement.
- BackupHTMLZip (Export your wiki to static HTML then optionally compress/zip it) by Petko : Experimental. Announcement.
- PageAction-IconPack (Using SVG icons to replace text links in the Page Action menu) by PaulWiegmans : 1.0
- Fox (Form processor to add, replace, copy, delete content plus upload files and send email notifications using templates and Input markup) by HansB : Major code update, which enables it to process multiple actions (like adding or replacing text, or updating PTVs), aimed at a single target page, in one go, loading and saving each page file just once, which will improve speed for multi-action and multi-page processing. Announcement.
- FoxContacts (Create personal or business Contacts pages and lists with Fox) by HansB : Updated NewContacts form and ContactTemplates to work with latest fox.php (version 2017-05-20 or younger). Removed
(:title ... :)from being added to new contact page, and allow updating the name fields.
- Do the Right Thing (Link shortcuts to custom searches for your browser) by Petko : Update installation instructions for Chrome
- MarkupRulesetDebugging (Debugging Markup Ruleset) by ChuckG : Add a test for duplicate patterns.
- Ape: Automagical PmWiki Embed (Embed videos, maps, documents, and more in wiki pages) by Petko : Add providers Google Docs and Google Forms to embed various office documents and survey forms.
- Mini (Simple, lightweight, un-bloated gallery with thumbnail generator) by Petko : Discussion about picture size on mobile browsers. The discussion about Mini went offlist, but the conclusion was that "large" images appear small only when the skin is not mobile-friendly. See difference: friendly unfriendly (click on a thumbnail to view the full picture).
- Ape: Automagical PmWiki Embed (Embed videos, maps, documents, and more in wiki pages) by Petko : Replies about embedding uploaded videos and Google Forms (surveys).