[pmwiki-users] Home Pages in (:pagelist:)s

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 15 18:19:58 CST 2005

On 12/12/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:19:11PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > > Why not 'Profiles.Profiles'?

> > I was tempted to post the same thing in the opposite direction.  That
> > is: Why not Category.HomePage?
> >
> > I eventually switched from using $Group.$Group to $Group.HomePage.  By
> > using $Group.HomePage you can can exclude group home pages from
> > pagelists with ` -.HomePage', which I do frequently.  There are other
> > reasons I prefer $Group.HomePage, for example because the purpose of
> > the page is more self-evident from looking at the URL.
>
> Unless you're doing something else beyond what is described here,
> note that ' -.HomePage' as a parameter excludes not only the HomePage,
> but also any page that contains ".HomePage" in the text and any page that
> links to *any* .HomePage.
>
> One can exclude group home pages from pagelists (either Group.Group
> or Group.HomePage) by using
>
>     $SearchPatterns['default'] = '!([^.]+)\\.($1|HomePage)!';

It would be better to have a way to do it with markup, so one could
intentionally exclude group HomePages from the list but not be forced
to always exclude them.

> I've been thinking that excluding the current page should be built-in
> to "list=normal".

This is an excellent idea.  Most of the time when I use " -.HomPage"
it's on a HomePage.

Another time is in a Site Map.  The site map problem would be
eliminated if group home pages were absent from the list.  Example:

    MyGroup / (<-- Link to MyGroup.HomePage)
        AnExamplePage
        HomePage  (<-- Duplicate link)
        Page
        PageToo

would be

    MyGroup (<-- Link to MyGroup.HomePage or MyGroup.MyGroup)
        AnExamplePage
        Page
        PageToo

IMHO leaving out the duplicate link improves usability, particularly
for a CMS-type installation where the wiki-ness is somewhat concealed.

Hagan