[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:49:11 CST 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, H. Fox wrote:

> On 12/29/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:06:18PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > >     This is the README.txt file for PmWiki, a wiki-based system for
> > >     collaborative creation and maintenance of websites.  PmWiki is
> > >     distributed with the following directories:

Going off on a tangent here.... shouldn't we emphasize that there several
ways to structure directories, e.g. for farm installations?

> > I'm wonder if docs/INSTALL.txt will get to be out of date/sync with
> > the wiki page version. (OTOH, the installation instructions haven't
> > changed much over PmWiki's history, so perhaps this isn't an issue.)
>
> docs/INSTALL.txt should be a general enough so it doesn't need frequent
> updating.  At the simplest level it could just refer to a page or two on
> pmwiki.org.

Do we even need it? Surely the most inept administrator should be able to
follow something like the following from README:

	For installation instructions, see
		http://pmwiki.org/wiki/InstallationInstructions

> I think it would be *very* helpful to have a lot more configuration
> samples in a well-organized set of files.

I agree that more configuration examples could be helpful, but I wonder if
they might not be better stored/maintained at pmwiki.org. Either as
cookbook pages, uploaded files or raw pasted examples.

Anyway, I think discussions on directory structure should at least strive
to consider farm installations (which is more difficult of course)

cherio
/C