[pmwiki-users] Google local site search

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 28 16:24:27 CST 2005

On 12/28/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> [...]the approach
> I'm using isn't modifying <a ...> tags, it's modifying the url that
> appears in the tag.  Specifically, it's removing any unpermitted
> "?action=" that appears after "$ScriptUrl".

So, for example, a page's Edit and History links become self-referring
links, correct?

If so, I think I'd rather leave the action and include the
rel='nofollow' attribute.

Bot the Light Skin and Lean Skin include the rel='nofollow'
attributes, so now there might be unintentional 'nofollow' links to
normal wiki pages -- possibly resulting in page-rank punishment.  IOW
it seems to make sense to either strip unapproved actions OR use
rel='nofollow', but not do both.

> > I'd expect most search engines to honor "nofollow" by not following the
> > link anyway. [...]
>
> In reality, for the first six months after rel="nofollow" was
> introduced, Google followed the links anyway (but didn't weight them).
> Google didn't stop following the links until sometime in July 2005.
> So, despite the reasons you give, Google chose to follow the
> rel="nofollow" links for quite some time after rel="nofollow" was
> introduced.

Since future PmWiki versions will not be run prior to July 2005 what's
important is the fact that they're not following the links now. right?
 Maybe I'm missing something...

Hagan