[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: stack overflow

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 22 08:52:45 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:17:57AM +0200, blues wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:21:50 +0200, Patrick R. Michaud
> <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >So, if we set $ScriptUrl to be a relative
> >url instead of an absolute one, then we need another variable to
> >represent the absolute one, and we have to be sure that both are
> >set properly when an administrator customizes one or the other.
> >*That's* the tricky part.
>
> i don't think is necessary to give to the administrator the
> possibility to customize both...
> he could just set the relative one and from that construct
> the absolute one when needed.

This assumes that PmWiki always has enough information to be
able to build a correct absolute URL.  Some webservers and/or
PHP configurations don't provide the correct host and/or port
information to executing scripts, and in these cases the administrator
has to supply them.  Or there are sometimes other cases where
the administrator needs to specify an absolute url that differs
from what the webserver provides.

It would be really nice if webservers and PHP installations were
consistent in the values they provide to scripts, or at least
faithfully followed the CGI specifications, but unfortunately
my experience indicates that this is often not the case.

Pm