[pmwiki-users] Live Bookmarks on Firefox . . .

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:12:18 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Mikael Nilsson <mini at nada.kth.se> wrote:
> mån 2005-12-19 klockan 16:20 -0700 skrev H. Fox:
> >
> > FWIW there are four links I'd be most interested in (with appropriate titles):
> >
> > {$Group}/RecentChages (RSS 2.0)
> > {$Group}/RecentChages (Atom)
> > {$SiteGroup}/AllRecentChages (RSS 2.0)
> > {$SiteGroup}/AllRecentChages (Atom)
>
> Well, then we have the feeds for PmWiki blogs as well :-)

Well, in my experience, blog readers don't like having the feeds
updated everytime someone adds a comment to a blog entry (unless they
explicitly subscribe to a comment feed for a specific entry), so we
would need a feed that only updates when a new blog entry is added.
Using Patrick's trail suggestion, every time a new blog post is added,
a link to that post is added to the trail. So, then only updates to
the trail page should update the rss feed. This requires a feed for a
single page, which everyone seems to be leaving out (despite my
earilier suggestion). I don't know, is it possable? If not,  I see the
need to add it before rss can effectivly be used with the blog stuff.

Then, if someone does want to track comments on a particular post, a
feed of that single page should notify them of any updates (new
comments).

Blog stuff aside, suppose I was working on a wiki page of instructions
for completing some task, and its taking a week to gradiuly update the
page. You are interested in this and want to be notified when I update
the page. At the same time, there are plenty of other pages in the
group/site that other people are editing just as, if not more
frequently than my page. If you cann't subscribe to a feed of my
single page only, my page is going to get lost in the mess. Guess that
is why I see a feed for a single page as having value and why I want
to offer it as an option to my users.

--
----
Waylan Limberg