[pmwiki-users] random musings

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 19 18:41:36 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:05:49PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > Group.* and *.Name may look confusing, but they're not necessary
> > because group= and name= already exist.  The above is the same as
> >
> >     "group=2005,2006 name=-GroupHeader,-HomePage"
> >
> > I still don't see why we need both fullname= and name=, since the
> > presence of a '.' or a '/' is the only difference between a name and a
> > full name.  (...or is it?)
>
> I'm trying to keep some rough correspondence to conditional markup,
> where
>
>     (:if name Something:)
>
> is currently equivalent to saying "fullname=*.Something".
> If I switch name to instead mean "fullname", then existing sites
> may break, unless we introduce special rules to work around it.
>
> Also, we have traditionally made a distinction between {$Name}
> and {$FullName}, where {$Name} excludes any group portion.  Somehow
> it seems inconsistent to me that {$Name} doesn't include a group
> reference while "name=" does.

I thought of that, but it isn't confusing to me -- or even
inconsistent.  It's obvious that {$FullName} exists out of necessity
to distinguish "$Group.$Name" from "$Name".

> One possibility is to assume that "name" in conditional markup or
> pagelist implies "*."  unless an explicit group is mentioned
> with a dot or slash.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

>  But somehow I think that might confuse
> authors more:
>
>      name=2005*            #   same as fullname=*.2005*  (?)
>      name=2005.*           #   same as fullname=2005.*   (?)
>
> But, maybe it isn't confusing.

To me it's not.  Those are both quite obvious; they're the same
strings that would be used in an MS-DOS (or Windows "Find files")
search.

I think it's more confusing to remember you need to use fullname=
sometimes and name= others.

Hagan