[pmwiki-users] random musings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Dec 19 12:51:44 CST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 01:38:42PM -0500, Martin Fick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:37:47AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Some random musings and questions to see if anyone has comments,
> > ideas, or suggestions...
> > Hmm, I guess "fullname" isn't so bad.  Lists of wildcards will also be
> > allowed
> >
> >     (:pagelist fullname=2005.Blog*,2006.Blog*:)
> >
> > as well as negations
> >
> >     (:pagelist fullname=-*.HomePage,-*.RecentChanges:)
>
>   OK, this is where it gets complicated and confusing. What
> does the comma mean in these two examples?

Comma is just a separator, separating a list of items that make up
a set.  There's no special meaning attached to the comma itself.

The fullname= parameter (like most things in PmWiki) is just a list
of elements that make up a set, with a minus sign meaning "cannot be
in this set".  Thus,  "fullname=2005.*,2006.*,-*.HomePage"
would mean all of the pages in the 2005 and 2006 groups, but not
the HomePage.

> It seems like
> you want it to mean UNION in the first example, but MINUS in
> the second example (can you tell I've been using SQL a lot
> lately)?

It's not the comma that makes the negations, it's the minus
signs.

Pm