[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Blog proposal

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 15 15:43:38 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:53:59PM +0100, sven saurwein wrote:
> Waylan Limberg wrote:
> the difference right now between normal wiki pages and blog pages is the
> that one of them will be automaticcaaly added to a trail.
>
> I also respect and sure support that creating a new blog entry should be
> as easy possible.
>
> but I dont see why a blog page shouldnt be given a proper pagename, as
> any other wiki page must.

Dates can be proper page names, also.  :-)  See, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_15 .

"Proper" versus "improper" on the web depends primarily on context.
If I have a daily blog with exactly one article per day and the
topic or title of each post isn't the key feature, then it makes
sense for me to use dates as the pagenames instead of topics.

> I dont see why a wiki page marked (:blog:) couldnt someday just rest in
> the usual wiki djungle, and it will maybe do so with an , sry, ugly
> pagename like 2005121503.

Sometimes we don't know in advance which pages are the important
ones.  Even if we choose a title, we may decide in retrospect that
it should've been called something else.  At any rate, we aren't
committed to a decision; we can always rename and update the historical
page under a new name, and leave a (:redirect:) pointer at the old
one.

Pm