[pmwiki-users] unset password = history gone?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Dec 15 08:53:41 CST 2005

At 2005-12-15  09:12 AM -0500, Russ Fink is rumored to have said:
>In general, if I really want to be sure about scrubbing sensitive
>information from history logs, particularly of those pages whose
>content I "declassify," what do I have to do?  I'm only concerned
>about "normal" preventive measures - don't send me tinfoil-hat replies

One crude but effective technique:
1) edit the page in question to remove sensitive items
2) save the page
3) edit again, but this time select and copy the page content (you
may wish to save this copy somewhere or just leave it on the clipboard)
4) replace all the page content with "delete" and save the edit -
this deletes the page
5) IMMEDIATELY re-edit the page (the last step will have sent you to
the "create this page" page)
6) paste back in the content you copied in step 3
7) save the page

You now have the same page name with the cleaned up content and no history.

As a bonus, you STILL have the original page on disk with the
deletion suffix, so you can actually recapture the original history
if you need it. Getting this file requires FTP access to the server.

Tinfoil hat is optional throughout this entire procedure ...

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668