[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: PHP loading faster?

blues blues4u at supereva.it
Thu Dec 15 07:59:53 CST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:37:10 +0200, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Yes, [[<<]] is much better.  The difference between the two is that
> [[<<]] simply inserts a <br clear='all' /> element, while the "\\"
> markup inserts a <br /> element *and* joins the next line to the
> previous one, making one much longer line.

mmm... i was always using "\\" because is shorter and quicker to
type than "[[<<]]" (and also the page markup looks more clear).

btw. why are the lines joined together? it doesn't make any
difference in the rendering of the html, isn't it?
is it a matter of wiki markup parsing?

> I've seen sites where people exclusively used '\\' and '\\\'
> exclusively to create linebreaks and paragraph breaks,

yes, i am (was?) one of them :-)
didn't know about the "side-effect".

> And in your case
> I think we've narrowed it down to a recipe causing things to be
> much slower (although I'm curious to know which one it might be
> so that we can speed it up).

not me, our friend Renee had this problem, i just slipped into
the discussion because interested :-)

blues