[pmwiki-users] Images in another group

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 7 18:07:18 CST 2005

On 12/7/05, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would this be more secure than the .htaccess method?

It could be slightly more secure.

One reason:  If the web server were unknowingly be re-configured not
to honor the .htaccess method (by changing Apache's AllowOverride
and/or AccessFileName directives) the .htaccess method could quit
working, rendering the files accessible via direct download by knowing
or guessing that, for example, this file

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LightSkin?action=download&upname=xhtml-valid.png

is located here

http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki/uploads/Cookbook/xhtml-valid.png

Another reason: Someone with another user account on the system can
sometimes read files from your web document tree.  Putting the files
elsewhere might make it possible to read-protect them more
effectively.

These reasons don't mean the .htaccess method isn't "good enough"
though.  Disclaimer: they're off the top of my head.  Others (Pm, Jo)
would be able to differentiate the security ramifications of two
approaches more thoroughly.

>  Would it be the same
> from the user's point of view?

Yes.