[pmwiki-users] Images in another group

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 09:37:49 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:19:12AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >    On 12/1/05, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
> >
> >      That format doesn't appear to make much sense though. When refering to
> >      an image in the same group, no page is required, so why is one required
> >      outside the group?  I presume we needed some mechanism to distinguish
> >      between a group and a page -- could we not use something more obvious?
> >      Possibly Attach:Group/image.ext and Attach:Group/file/image.ext?
>
> Suppose I have a site organized with per-page attachments instead of
> per-group attachments.  How should an author refer to an attachment
> to page "XYZ" in the same group?  Well, if I were writing a link, I
> would use [[XYZ]], so it makes sense that the attachment should be
> Attach:XYZ/image.ext.  It *doesn't* make sense that I would have to
> write the group name (i.e., Attach:Group/XYZ/image.ext) to access
> an attachment of another page in the same group.

On the other hand, I suppose that we could redefine the Attach:
markup so that Attach:XYZ/image.ext refers to page XYZ in the
current group if such a page exists, otherwise it refers to the
group XYZ.  This would mean we can no longer describe Attach:
in terms of existing markup semantics as we do now, but it might
be more in line with what authors seem to naturally expect.

Pm